CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Journey to bring our son home


My husband Doug & i have two beautiful daughters Rylie & Adyson. We live in Paola Kansas...a town of about 5000 people. I have an in home based business, and Doug is an electrician by trade. About a year & a half ago we started the journey to complete our family..which led us to the adoption of our son Mateo. Doug & I received our referral in May of 2007. Mateo was 1 & 1/2 months old at the time. I remember like it was yesterday opening the email with his pictures and seeing my son for the first time. The love was instant. People ask me if it is different feeling, as my daughters were biological. No it wasn't any different. The love was just as strong. It was a moment I will always treasure. He is in an orphanage in Antigua...Semillas de Amor. His birthday is March 3rd. We are going on our first visit trip this next Sunday, march 2nd. We get to be there for his 1st birthday, and I get to have four days with him...to soak him in kisses & let him know how much he is loved. We are really facing alot of "Giants" right now in this process. We were entered into PGN August 3rd, but didn't find out we were even there until mid Sept. Then in Oct, we were told that there was a question regarding the birth moms birth certificate and because of that they were moving our file into Minors Court Section of PGN. We were there for two months with " no new information"..week after long week. Then in Nov..the Friday after Thanksgiving we were told that our case was moved into Minors Court for further investigation. We we were not given any information as to why specifically. Finally after hounding my agency to get more info from the director of our orphanage, they emailed her and got some specific answers. Apparently the birth mom had adopted out another child prior to our son. She was born in Nicaragua, but was told that it would be easier and speed up the process if she had her birth certificate altered to say she was born in Guatemala. So they did, and the adoption was completed without any problems. So when she gave up Mateo for adoption, she used the same paperwork. Nowadays things are more scrutinized , and in PGN they red flagged the name on the birth certificate was that of a civil registrar that had been linked to falsifying documents in the past, and that is how it call came down. So, finally, last month an attorney interviews the birth mom and found out that she had falsified this...she admitted it finally. So now we are told our case is in MP ( Misterio Publico ???) I am not sure what that is, or where we will go from here. We were told by our agency that it doesn't look good. That they worse things that could happen for a case is to have something falsified. She even suggested that they could just wash their hands of it, say the adoption cannot complete and he would spend the rest of his life in an orphanage. I cannot imagine that a government would not do what is in the best interest of the child, as this is a issue the the birth mom should have to deal with , not us. We shouldn't be punished, and especially this innocent baby for something that we had no control over. My agency also suggested that there is the possibility that we would have to start the abandonment process, although right now there is no new adoptions, so no rules, so we would have to wait until they reopened adoptions and then would have to see where we go from there... I am in this for the long haul. If it means I have to fight for this little guy because no one else will, then that is why I will do. He is my son, we love him. I believe that God has big plans for us and for him. I am basically giving this up to God, but fighting the "Giants" as they stand in my way. I am doing this for him and I want him to know that he is loved....and wanted. I am sending new pictures we just got of Mateo, isn't he beautiful! I will keep you all posted as I get back from my visit trip, I am sure it will be an emotional week!!! Please keep our family in your prayers...we are needing a miracle at this point! Thank you! val

6 comments:

Katie said...

Great first post, Val!!

Ann said...

I know you will love being with Mateo and you know we are praying that he is home in Kansas soon! "There's no place like home, there's no place like home!"

McKinney Family said...

Val and Doug -
You guys are wonderful to fight for your little guy.... I wish you all the luck in the world.

Kim McKinney

Kimberly said...

Valerie & Doug I have found two verse's for you to always remember. Matthew 21:22
If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
I find both of these so powerful and so very true. Keep in your faith and trust in God and he will provide for you both and the the girls, and for Mateo. I believe that Mateo will be with you soon. I believe God had choosen Mateo for you and Doug to love and raise to love the Lord. I can't wait to hold my nephew and give him kiss and hugs. And tell him just how much he is loved and that he is a gift from God. Just believe in God and He will always always provide.
Love you very very much.
Kim

Lesley Seuferling said...

God is Amazing and can do what we cannot - put your trust in Him and he will conquer the "GIANTS"...I think it is incredible that you are opening your hearts so graciously. Keep believing and know that God honors your perseverance and trust.

Lesley Seuferling

marlo said...

Valarie- Everytime I read your emails and blogs, my heart just pours out to you a ndd DOug! You are such wonderful people, Im sure God will work in mysterious ways and your little guy will be home in your arms VERY soon! Keep Fighting!!!!!!!